Froyle Wildlife ‘walks and talks’ list for 2018.
- Thursday 8th March 7.30pm, Village Hall, talk ‘My family and 50 other animals’ by natural history author Dominic Couzens. Discover our British mammals.
- Thursday 19th April 7.30pm Village Hall, talk about ‘Hampshire’s Amphibians and Reptiles’ by John Buckley. Know your frogs, newts and lizards.
- Tuesday 15th May 7.30pm, Village Hall, talk ‘Wild Orchids of Hampshire’ by expert and top photographer Rosemary Webb.
- Wednesday 27th June 2pm, a walk at Broxhead Common, heathland to find Silver Studded Blue butterfly.
- Sunday 1st July a ‘drop-in’ day at the Wildlife Pond to see what flying and flowering, 10-12am and 2-4pm near Gid Lane, Froyle.
- Sunday 29th July pond dipping for families at wildlife pond, two sessions 1.30pm and 2.30pm, equipment provided and booking essential.
- Wednesday 1st August 2pm, a walk at Magdalen Hill Down for flowers and butterflies including Chalk Hill Blue.
- Thursday 25th October 7pm, AGM and a talk entitled ‘Surrey Safari’ by photographer Geoff Lunn. Garden and local wildlife near Farnham.
Our nearest SSSI is Bentley Station Meadow and Butterfly Conservation organise winter work parties to help clear scrub starting 10am on the first Wednesday of each month from October to March, the next one is on 7th Mar 2018.
In March 2017 we registered as a ‘Charitable Incorporated Organisation‘ with the Charities Commission.
The wildflower area on Froyle recreation ground has grown well and started flowering in May 2016 (see photos). It was sown in autumn 2015 with the help of 14 individuals after over 100 hours of volunteer time. This year’s annual cut and rake-up is on Saturday 28th July. In 2018 we plan to enlarge the area and sow cornfield annuals in the Spring.
The new wildlife pond and wildflower meadow near Gid Lane (see access plan) has produced an increase in local biodiversity since construction in 2016 and demonstrates how we can help to give nature a home. The meadow area has established well but will still benefit from light weeding to avoid thistles, nettles and docks taking hold. Join us if you can help in 2018 on Saturdays 10am-12, 31st Mar, 28th Apr, 19th May, 9th June.